Thursday 14 May 2015

Poached Fish

Wednesday Dinner

- Poached Fish
- Cauliflower & Broccoli Gratin

What do you do with leftover pickle juice?  Down the drain?  I never gave a second thought about throwing away pickle juice until I made one for myself.  Once you make your own, you know what goes in there and you know they are packed with beautiful flavours, throwing away that seems such a waste (Mottainai in Japanese).

Ever since I found out that you could poach fish in leftover pickle juice, I have been wanting to try it.  Yesterday, my pickle jar had three gherkins left, so I have decided to make poached fish.  It turned out to be so easy and tasty.  I will make it again and again every time I finish up a pickle jar.  Cheesy and creamy gratin went so well with the fish.  Hubby and I were so happy.


Poached Fish in Leftover Pickle Juice Recipe (Serves 2~3)

Ingredients

  • 2~3 Fish fillets (e.g. Hoki)
  • Vegetables, thinly sliced (e.g. celery, carrot, onion, garlic, fennel etc)
  • Spices of you choice (e.g. peppercorn, bay leaf, star anise etc)
Method
  1. Pour leftover pickle juice (herbs and spices and all) and some water in a large shallow pan
  2. Turn the heat on, add vegetables and spices 
  3. When the water is close to boil, add fish fillets (add more water to cover at least 2/3 of the fish)
  4. Turn the heat to the lowest and simmer until just cooked through
  5. Serve with steamed veggies or creamy vegetable gratin

Cheese Sauce for Gratin Recipe

Ingredients
  • 2 cups Milk
  • 1 cup Sour cream or cream
  • 1 cup Cheese, shredded
  • 2Tbsp Okara
  • 1tsp Psyllium husk
  • Garlic powder to taste
  • Salt to taste
Method
  1. Heat milk, sour cream and cheese in a small pot
  2. When cheese is melted, add Okara, psyllium husk
  3. Add salt and garlic powder to taste
  4. Once the sauce is thickened, turn the heat off
  5. Pour over hard-boiled veggies and bake in the oven for 15mins

No comments:

Post a Comment