Tuesday 21 April 2015

Kanzuri-Marinated Chicken Drumsticks

Monday Dinner

- Grilled Kanzuri-Marinated Chicken Drumsticks
- Roasted Carrots and Pumpkin
- Salad with Sour Cream Dressing

Kanzuri is a chilli paste produced exclusively in Niigata prefecture in north part of Japan.  It is made by fermenting Koji, red chillies, Yuzu citrus and salt.  I have never eaten the real Kanzuri because it is not well known nor widely distributed unlike the similar condiment "Yuzukosho".  I made Kanzuri last year just because I had some leftover Koji from making Miso and Toubanjan (chilli miso paste).  I used limes, Korean chilli powder, salt and homemade germinated brown rice Koji.

Last night, I marinated chicken drumsticks with 3Tbsp soy sauce, 2tsp Kanzuri chilli paste and paprika then baked in 180˚C oven for 30mins.  I also roasted carrots and pumpkin on the lower rack.  The chicken wasn't spicy but had just the right amount of saltiness and veggies were beautifully caramelised.

For the salad, I chopped lettuce, carrot, 2 boiled eggs, celery, spring onion, gherkin, tomato and dressed with apple chutney, sour cream, fresh dill, whole grain mustard and pepper.  It tasted like a potato salad without potatoes and we both liked it very much.  The whole dinner was a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment