Sunday 8 March 2015

Garlic Chicken and Umami Rice

Sunday Dinner

- Garlic Chicken
- Squid Ink Umami Rice
- Salad

Garlic Chicken is something I make when I don't wanna cook.  It is so easy and simple but tastes amazing.  Use chicken thigh cutlet with skin on for this.  Season well with salt and pepper on skin side only.  Cook with garlic slices either on fry pan or in the oven skin side down first.

I also made a Japanese rice dish, "Takikomi gohan".  I don't believe the use of squid ink is traditional for this dish.  I only used it because I had it in hand and also it would make it look interesting. 

Anyway, Takikomi gohan is such a versatile dish, can be made with seafood, meat and/or veggies.  Lots of flavour unlike a bowl of steamed white rice.  Google if you wanna know more about the history of this dish.  I am just going to leave my recipe here.


Squid Ink Umami Rice (Takikomi gohan) Recipe (Serves 4)

Ingredients
  • 200g short-grain white rice
  • 6g squid ink paste
  • 1/2 carrot, cubed
  • 2 pieces deep-fried tofu
  • 1 Dashi pack*
  • 1tsp soy sauce
Method
  1. Rinse rice 4 times
  2. Leave water about 1cm above rice and soak for 15mins 
  3. Add all the ingredients in a pot* except carrot and deep-fried tofu
  4. Stir well then add carrot and tofu on top
  5. Cook for 15mins (Once boiled, turn the heat right down)
  6. Rest for 10mins before serving

*Dashi pack is like a tea bag for Japanese soup stock.  Tear it open and use the granules inside.  You could also use Dashi powder instead.
*I use a clay pot but whatever pots, pans or rice cooker you have is fine

No comments:

Post a Comment