- Tofu Salad
I made Tofu salad to take to a BBQ last night. The salad is made with leafy green salad mix, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, shredded carrot and Tofu. Tofu and sesame seeds go well together so I made Tahini dressing by whisking together tahini, Mentsuyu, honey and vinegar.
Mentsuyu is a soy sauce based condiment with tons of umami and this flavour is what makes Japanese food. It is very common in home cooking and can be used for a noodle soup base, a dipping sauce for tempura, braising fish, meat or veggies, salad dressings etc. You can find Mentsuyu at any asian grocers or supermarket but I make it because it is so easy to make and tastes better.
Mentsuyu (Makes 650ml)
- 40g Dried Bonito flakes
- 15g Dried Shiitake mushrooms, torn to small pieces by hand
- 10cm square piece Kombu seaweed, torn to small pieces by hand
- 472g Soy sauce
- 400g White wine
- Add all the ingredients in a pot and stir
- Cover and leave for 12~24hrs
- Simmer until the alcohol is burnt off for about 5mins
- Strain with a mesh strainer
- Strain again with a fine mesh tea strainer (optional)
- Pour through a funnel into a sterilised bottle
- Store in fridge